Two Musical Prodigies Fall in Love | The Sky is Everywhere



The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
Publisher: Speak
Release date: March 22nd, 2011
Genres: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Pages:  277
Source: Bought it
Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life - and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.

This remarkable debut is perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block. Just as much a celebration of love as it is a portrait of loss, Lennie's struggle to sort her own melody out of the noise around her is always honest, often hilarious, and ultimately unforgettable.
Review:
 
I didn't know what to expect when I picked this book up from my to-be-read shelf. But I most certainly didn't expect 277 pages of pure awesomeness and cuteness. Seriously. I don't even know what to say right now. All I can say is that this book is next to I'll Give You The Sun as one of my favorite contemporary novels.

The romance was swoon-worthy even though it was a little bit insta-love and there was a love triangle. I don't mind, though. I grew to get used to and like it more and more each page. I liked the nickname Joe gave Lennie. Everything about them screams cuteness and relationship goals. They're too adorable. Not perfect, but they overcome their problems and finally find their way to each other in the end.

The character developments were captured perfectly and adorably. And I, of course, loved Joe Fontaine so damn much. He may seem perfect, but actually he has had a bad experience with love. He doesn't want to fall for anyone because he's traumatized. But then he gives love one more chance and that's all he needs in order to become full of life once more. I also liked Lennie. She's unique. She's actually a lot like Jude from I'll Give You The Sun, now that I think about it. But, in the end she becomes her own person. She's mourning and does some stupid things, but in the end she gets stronger and braver by each passing page. She's exceptional. 

It was a massive roller-coaster ride. I was grinning like a maniac at one page and then mentally shredding the book to pieces the next. Yes. It was quite an emotion blender. But in a totally good way. I haven't felt like this towards a book for so long and it felt great. 

The portrayal of grief was so beautifully written and heart-wrenching. I LOVED how Lennie writes poems on scattered pieces of papers and throws them away after that. I especially LOVED her poems. Period. She has a way of writing poems about her sister. It's her way to express her grief and sadness. Sometimes it's a poem and sometimes it's just a conversation she used to have with Bailey. It was actually a genius way to let the readers get to know Bailey before she dies. We don't even have a chance to meet her throughout the book and it's actually a genius way to let us know what happens before the book even starts. The poems are superb and touching. I found myself liking them and I even made a mental note to write it down for later reading. I couldn't wait to read the next ones. You could imagine my disappointment when the book was finished and there were no more poems.

The story was predictable, but sometimes you just have to embrace the predictability of a book and let the story flow you away. I actually found myself totally enjoying it even though I could predict so many things here and there. Maybe the way it was written or something to do with Lennie's unusual behavior somehow had bewitched me to finish this book in one sit.

I don't even know which one I liked best. The Sky is Everywhere or I'll Give You The Sun. Considering they're both written by the some genius brain and are both remarkable. I'm recommending this book to any contemporary lovers out there. Totally worth binge-reading and lunch-skipping (which I did). It's a total roller-coaster ride of emotions. If you're not reading this, then I don't know what else you've been doing your whole life.






My rating:  ★ ★ ★ ★ . 5 

Reviewed by Inas

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!