Spectacularly Thrilling and Swoon-Worthy | Winter


Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release date: November 10th, 2015
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
Pages:  862
Source: Bought it
Goodreads Purchase
Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?
Review:
Opening the first page of Winter, I had no doubt that, once again, I would be mesmerized by the world of Meyer's imagination. By the end of the bookwhich turned out to be the longest book I've read in my whole 16 years of existence, I was feeling all kinds of emotions. I was relieved, satisfied, thrilled, yet sad and distressed because one of the best series I've ever read just ended. But, well, every hello ends with a goodbye. Therefore, I had to say goodbye to Cinder, Thorne, Kai, Cress, and all of the Rampion crew.

I'm going to try and make this review spoiler-free for the sake of those who haven't read the book, but I would probably tell something spoiler-y accidentally. But, well, I'll try my best.

Okay, so, when I started reading, I already prepared a pack of post-its in case there are some quotes that I like. But, oh well, I went a little bit out of hand. Okay, not a little bit. In fact, I spent two packs of post-it notes to mark all my favorite quotes. In total, there are 110 of them. Whoops.


I mostly marked romantic parts, but I also marked some funny and wise quotes. But, well, my post-its mostly tell you just how many swoon-worthy moments this book provides. All the ships got their own moments and I just LOVED it. You would probably think since Winter and Jacin just appeared in this book, they would have less romantic moments than the rest of the characters, but no. Marissa Meyer made sure she gave all of her characters the love they deserve. 

The characters have grown so much since the first book. Or, at least those who appeared since the first book. I liked how Meyer made us know all of them inside and out even though some of them only appeared halfway through the whole series. They all have a special place in my heart and brain. I'm pretty sure, there's a huge space in my brain dedicated only to The Lunar Chronicles. But, well, I guess, most of the space is taken by Thorne. 

The action was also to kill for. Every time there was an action scene going on I kept shrieking and screaming like the fangirl I am. It made my heart thump so hard in my chest and made me bite my nails so much I'd need a manicure (well, that's obviously exaggerating because I don't really bite my nails, but you get what I mean).

The humor was so funny and gripping, especially those made by none other than Captain Carswell Thorne. Winter had so much funny parts I couldn't stop marking the pages every few sentences. Thorne wasn't the only one responsible for it, though. Kai also had some funny remarks that made me laugh out loud, even though most of the time it consisted him pointing out how miserable he was. And let's not forget about Iko! She grew sassier than ever and her presence also lifted some spirit throughout the book, being the unique droid she was.

Overall, I think Winter was the best book I've read this year. Well, of course, there's also The Last Ever After by Soman Chainani that's just next to this book in this nomination. Okay then, that makes Winter one of the best books I've read this year. Winter was highly enjoyable and gripping. But there were still some parts that made think that maybe this book was too long. It was around three-fifths of the book. It was a dilemma, actually. I, of course, wanted this book to be everlasting, but on the other hand, I was hoping this book would be shorter due to some parts that didn't exceed my expectations. 

Asides from that, Winter is AWESOMETACULAR!! It has everything you need in one book. Humor, love, action, angst, and just everything you need! Just make sure you prepare a cup of coffee and some snacks because it's gonna be one helluva long, long, long ride.

What about you? Have you read Winter yet? What do you think? Are you excited for the novellas and other Marissa Meyer's future works? Comment below!


My rating:  ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Reviewed by Inas 

2 comments

  1. 'which turned out to be the longest book I've read in my whole 16 years of existence'

    you're not reading Harry Potter and the Method of Rationality, are you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo, I'm sorry!
      I have too many books rn and they all have to be finished in a certain amount of time (which is soon).
      I'm sure though that once I've read that fic you recommended that it'd be the longest book I've ever read.

      Delete

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!