Boy Meets Girl and The Cliché Happens | Isla and the Happily Ever After



Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3) by Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Speak
Release date: August 4th, 2015
Genres: YA, Romance, Contemporary
Pages:  339
Source: Bought it
Goodreads Purchase
From the glittering streets of Manhattan to the moonlit rooftops of Paris, falling in love is easy for hopeless dreamer Isla and introspective artist Josh. But as they begin their senior year in France, Isla and Josh are quickly forced to confront the heartbreaking reality that happily-ever-afters aren't always forever. Their romantic journey is skillfully intertwined with those of beloved couples Anna and Étienne and Lola and Cricket, whose paths are destined to collide in a sweeping finale certain to please fans old and new.
Review:

Now, now... Lola and The Boy Next Door is one of my favorite romance novels of all time. I was pretty confident that nothing could top that book in the romance department, not even its sequel. Apparently, I was right.
Isla and the Happily Ever After is a story of a girl who had been quietly in love with a guy for years. She was shy and they almost had nothing in common. So, she was pretty sure he would never like her back. But, then one day, they met (accidentally) in a cafe and something just clicked.

You know what? I was sick even writing the summary. The reason? You guess it right... Insta-love.

They practically had their tongues down each other's throats the first few pages of the book. They just chatted 'for real' one time, and the next thing I read, they were dating, like, what the fuck?

Those kinds of things don't happen in real life, you see. Yeah, sure, they happen sometimes. But most of the time you'll end up with a very forgettable ex in the end. The problem with this novel is that there was no real chemistry going on between them. They didn't really love each other, they fell in love with the idea of each other.

Plus, they did a very reckless thing together that just further proved their stupidity.


I also found some typos here and there and oh! ONE French grammar mistake! I just learned French recently, but even I could notice this trivial thing. And I'd say, it was kinda annoying. You'd think that since the author has written a book set in France before, she'd be better at the language or something. But, no.

Well, besides the things above, I'd say his book was an enjoyable read. Once you get through the frustration of reading the stupid lovey-dovey stuff that feels exaggerated, you'll like it.

Here are some things that I liked:
  • I adored Isla's protectiveness toward Kurt–which was her best friend. Kurt had an autism (if I'm not mistaken, or Asperger?). I have a firsthand experience in dealing with this kinda of people up close, so I know how she felt and I liked her for it.
  • There are scenes that got a few awwwws from me and I liked how both sides of family are captured closely in the book. It wasn't nearly as much as in Lola and the Boy Next Door, but still.
  • And oh! The previous main characters cameos!! Lola and Cricket were there! And oh mon Dieu, they were so ADORABLE! It was great seeing one of my favorite OTPs on the pages again. If you loved Anna and Etienne, don't worry, they were there too. I just... didn't like them that much.

In all, I think it wasn't exactly Perkins's best nor worst work. It was so-so. In the worst department, we have Anna and the French Kiss, while in the best one, we have Lola. However, it was still adorable, cute, and light. If you need something to pass your time while sipping a cup of tea, this book is what you need.

(whoa this review is pretty short, but yeah, maybe I'm just too lazy to talk about this book)

My rating:  ★ ★ ★ 

Reviewed by Inas 

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!