It Should've Stayed as a Trilogy | Restore Me

Restore Me (Shatter Me, #4.5)  by Tahereh Mafi
Release date: March 6th, 2018
Publisher: HarperCollins
Genres: YA, Dystopian, Sci-Fi
Pages: 435
Source: Bought it
Juliette Ferrars thought she'd won. She took over Sector 45, was named the new Supreme Commander, and now has Warner by her side. But she's still the girl with the ability to kill with a single touch—and now she's got the whole world in the palm of her hand. When tragedy hits, who will she become? Will she be able to control the power she wields and use it for good?


Review

I decided to finally write this review a year after I've finished the actual book. I was writing this series' novella which has the POV of my favorite character when I realized I haven't even written this one yet. Way to go, Inas.

So, let's start, shall we?

This story basically takes place not long after the events at the end of Ignite Me takes place. Juliette, our beloved main heroine, becomes the new Supreme Commander. But she's just a teenager full of flaws and incomprehensible strength. The other Supreme Commanders (basically her boyfriend's colleagues) think of her as a threat. So they decide to know what she's up to by sending their children to talk about politics and yadda yadda. 

In this book, a lot of shit goes down. It's like reading a soap opera because too much drama is going on. 

But, first thing first, let's talk about the real problem here. 

WHY THE HECK WOULD ANYONE LET JULIETTE BECOME THE SUPREME COMMANDER??? 


She's a teenager, for god's sake! Last time I remember, she's still 17, that's younger than me by 2 years! I mean, sure, she's powerful, like INSANELY powerful. But that doesn't mean she understands politics nor international relationship nor other necessary knowledge needed to lead a country (or in this case, a Sector (?)). She's just a teenager like me whose actions can easily get clouded by their emotions. She's unfit to lead a country, period. Even Juliette herself knows that!

How did I think people ruled the world? Did I really imagine it would be so simple? That I might control the fabric of society from the comfort of my boyfriend's bedroom?
Politics, it turns out, is a science I don’t yet understand .Killing things, breaking things—destroying things? That, I understand. Getting angry and going to war, I understand. But patiently playing a confusing game of chess with a bunch of strangers from around the world? God, I’d so much rather shoot someone.
I mean, seriously?? She'd rather shoot someone? What kind of leader would she be, then? A tyrant? So, yeah, you just have to believe me when I say that my teddy bear would make a WAY better leader than her.

(Oh, wait a minute, I just distinctly remember. I think Juliette becomes the Supreme Commander because she's too powerful that no one has the guts to stand up to her. Yeah, that makes sense.)

I said there's a lot of drama, didn't I? Mostly between Aaron and Juliette, though. Something happens that makes Juliette mad towards him and they break up for like, what, the tenth time? They'd probably get back together again in the next book, though. So, no worries, you Warnette shippers!

What I love the most is the fact that Kenji finally gets a LOVE INTEREST! 


She's pretty, sassy, badass (of course), and wears hijab (like me)! The fact that she wears hijab did concern me a bit, though. I mean, if she's a DEVOTED Muslim (like me), that means she can't go around kissing guys or making out, which would be a shame because I'm really looking forward to those things haha. But, I found out that's not a problem because she only wears it as a form of rebellion against the system. It's explained by her in the novella written through Kenji's POV. Oops, is that a spoiler? Sorry, not sorry!

Actually, I think I wouldn't even mind if Kenji and Aaron end up together! 

I smile, big. Lightbulb bright.Kenji’s eyes widen, surprised, and he laughs. He nods at my face and says, “Aw, you’ve got dimples. I didn’t know that. That’s cute.”
“But — why would she break up with you? Why was she crying?” At this, I laugh again.

“ Because I,” I say, pointing at myself, “am a monster."
Kenji looks confused. “ And how is that news to anyone?”
I smile. He’s funny, I think. Funny guy. 
”I don’t really know man,” Kenji says, and sighs. “I think, this time, you just have to deal with the consequences of your own stupidity.”I look away, bite back a laugh, and nod several times as I say, “Go to hell, Kishimoto.”“I’m right behind you, bro.” He winks at me. Just once. And disappears. 
Yep, I totally ship it.

When I got to the end of the book, I remember feeling utterly baffled because it felt like too much information was thrown at me at the same time. 


I couldn't comprehend what was going on. I literally had to re-read the last chapter a few times to understand the shit that just went down. However, in the end, I didn't find myself craving for the next installment immediately like I did when I was reading the previous books in the series. I just found myself relieved the book has ended. Everything in this book just screams *plot twist* or *shocking new facts* just for the sake of it. Sometimes, all the readers need is some tiny hint of a foreshadowing so that when the plot twist finally happens, we can say "OH MY GOD I TOTALLY SAW THAT COMING, BUT I DIDN'T." Yeah, that doesn't happen in this book. So you'll just be completely utterly dumbfounded because the twists come out of nowhere.

In all, I think the book is so-so. The writing makes up for most of the problems I had while reading this book, though. Maybe it's because my expectations were too high? I just couldn't deal with the fact that Juliette is the new Supreme Commander. It just feels bizarre and nonsensical, which is such a shame because Juliette acting as the new Supreme Commander is such a huge and important part of the book that it takes away my enjoyment while I was reading it. I would still read the sequel, though.

Our rating: ★ ★ 

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!