A Herd of Boys | The Heir


The Heir by Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release date: May 5th, 2015
Genres: YA, Dystopian, Romance
Pages:  342
Source: Bought it
Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.
Review:
 
I definitely wasn't expecting Kiera Cass to write another book in The Selection Trilogy. I always thought there would only be 3 books in the series, apparently I was wrong. As a big fan of her works, my reaction when I found out about The Heir was pretty much expected:




What can I say? I'm a sucker for Kiera Cass's works. I definitely loved her books before The Heir and literally couldn't wait to read about America and Maxon's daughter having a selection. Even though, let's be honest, I was kind of disappointed that we won't be getting any more books about Maxerica. But, meh I don't care. I would read anything by Kiera Cass any day. Heck, I would even read her grocery lists.

This review is completely spoiler free.

Cover:

Okay. I just had to make a review about the cover. It's the most beautiful thing EVER! The model in the cover is Stacey Farnet and she just looks so beautiful I'm utterly completely speechless. Her gown is perfect and I would love to wear it. In case you didn't notice, the crown on the cover is somewhat different from the crown on the previous books featuring America Singer/Audrey Hollister because, well, it's a whole new story we're talking about here, right?

Synopsis:

The Heir took place 20 years after Maxon and America's marriage in The One. During that length of time, they had 4 kids! 4 beautiful and talented kids! They're Eadlyn, Ahren, Kaden, and Osten. Eadlyn and Ahren are twins, with Eadlyn being the oldest one (she beat Ahren by 7 minutes). Eadlyn knows that her parents got together through the Selection, but she doesn't have any intention of following their path. But, because of one thing and another, she has to have a Selection of her own whether she wants it or not. She definitely isn't expecting anything to come out of this whole thing, she doesn't even want it to happen in the first place! But, as the competition begins and she has 35 suitors lined up for her hand in marriage, she realized that the Selection wasn't half bad as she thought it would be.

Characters:

First of all, I really really liked Eadlyn Schreave. She may have flaws and imperfections in her personality, but that's just who she is and I don't really mind it because it totally makes her different from her mother, America Singer, when she was in the Selection. While in my opinion America was so wishy-washy and meh, I think Eadlyn is somewhat ambitious if slightly self-absorbed and spoiled. She can be harsh sometimes and her words are meant to hurt people most of the time, but I can see there's a side of her that's lovable and captivating even though they're hidden most of the time.

The other characters have their own important roles in the story as well. If any of them never existed in the first place, the story would be different and less interesting than it actually is right now. The suitors are also fun to get close to as they all have different personalities and different ways to try to get Eadlyn's heart. Even though I already have a certain person I'm rooting for, I still love to get to know the others better as well.

Relationships:

Let's just say, Eadlyn is the kind of person who shuts people out and tries to hurt them first in case they're trying to hurt her later. Which means, it isn't easy at all to get a place in her heart. The person who's able to do it deserves a reward and trophy of some kind. This is quite apparent as we proceed further through the book. We can see that the certain person who's able to have a place in her heart is actually the one who has known her all his life. I just LOVE how the romance is going and I hope she'll fall for the one person I'm rooting for.

Okay. I can't help it. I need to lash my inner fangirl out.


The relationship between Eadlyn and her twin, Ahren, is also something I treasured so much. I loved them from the moment Ahren first appeared in the book. I just loved how they seem to understand each other better than anyone in the world and how Eadlyn always seeks for her brother when she needs advice because, well, Ahren is the more reasonable one. I loved how Ahren stands up for her and backs her up when she's in trouble. If you hate the romance, you just have to love the relationship between Eadlyn and Ahren.

Overall:

I can say that this book satisfies me way more than the story of Maxon and America and that's quite something!. I don't know why, maybe that's because there are more guys in this one. The relationship between the-guy-I'm-rooting-for and Eadlyn is even more adorable than the relationship of Maxerica and even though we had 3 books of it, I liked the-guy-I'm-rooting-for WAY better than I liked Maxon (so sorry Maxon. I still love you, though). So, if you haven't read the series, I suggest you to start reading it right now. Or if you're too lazy, just read this one! It's completely okay and not reading the previous ones won't make any difference (maybe you just won't know some of the characters' backstories). You'll be completely fine because I suggested this book to a friend who has never touched the series and boy did she love it!

So, what are you waiting for? READ IT NOW! You won't regret it! I promise! Because if there are two words that describe this book, it would be:


My rating:  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★  

Reviewed by Inas

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!