Evil Dude Turns into a Babe | Unravel Me


Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release date: February 5th, 2013
Genres: Dystopian, Sci-fi, YA
Pages:  461
Source: Bought it
tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.
Review:
 
In the second book of Shatter Me trilogy, Mafi literally knew how to make us squeal in delight and then feel so many jumbled emotions at once. She outdid herself by creating this piece of perfection filled with satisfying romance, gut-wrenching action, and unpredictable twists. If I said I like the first book so much, I was totally in love with this one.

Juliette just escaped from the Reestablishment and joined Omega Point, a place for people with special power like her. She finally feels free from everything that has restrained her all this time. But, she's completely wrong. As she spends day after day in Omega Point, she realizes that nothing is really changed and as the war getting closer by the minute, she finds herself trapped between the consequences and sacrifices she's going to make.

I'm completely in love with Tahereh's words. They're so original and extraneous and unlike any other authors. As you find yourself deeper in the book, you'll also find yourself more and more fixated by the words. There are still some strikes here and there, but they've decreased so much compared by the previous book. I honestly don't know exactly what makes me in love with her words, maybe it's the way she makes me drown and unable to let go of the book once I start reading it, maybe it's the way she makes me want to savour every single sentence and capture it in my brain forever. I just don't know. But, I love it.

He’s kissing me like the world is rolling right off a cliff, like he’s trying to hang on and he’s decided to hold on to me, like he’s starving for life and love and he’s never known it could ever feel this good to be close to someone. Like it’s the first time he’s ever felt anything but hunger and he doesn’t know how to pace himself, doesn’t know how to eat in small bites, doesn’t know how to do anything anything anything in moderation.

The characters' developments are completely apparent in this book. Juliette has turned from the girl-who-weeps-all-the-damn-time to the girl-who-absolutely-kicksass-and-wants-to-break-free. When in the first book I couldn't stand her because she was so stupid at times, she was so strong and independent in this book. I was completely mind-blown. She finally realizes the true ability of her power and wants to use it for her own good, she's not scared of what others think anymore. 

“You know, you have a really strange way of telling me you’re attracted to me.”
Kenji and James were two of my favorite characters. Kenji was so funny, and honestly, all the times that I laughed in this book were probably because of him. We didn't get to see him as much in the previous book as we only got to know him throughout the last half of the book. But, we surely get to see so much of his adorableness and playfulness in this book. He is such a babe. He lightens every heartbreaking situation and every time tears were threatening to spill from my eyes, he prevented it from happening. James is Adam's little brother. He's only 10, but his eagerness and thoughtfulness make him seem older than he really is. So, yeah, I also liked him.
“The man is moody as hell.”
“I am not moody—”
“Yeah, bro.” Kenji puts his utensils down. “You are moody. It’s always ‘Shut up, Kenji.’ ‘Go to sleep, Kenji.’ ‘No one wants to see you naked, Kenji.’ When I know for a fact that there are thousands of people who would love to see me naked—” 

The romance was so worth it. I literally didn't know what was going to happen at all. I was team Adam in Shatter Me and when I read Destroy Me I was still team Adam because it's going to take more than pity to make me like Warner. But, then as I was deeper and deeper throughout Unravel Me, I found myself rooting for Warner and not knowing what to think about Adam. The romance was so unpredictable and I was crossing my fingers all throughout the book that Juliette is going to be with Warner in the end. When Warner was such a psychopath in the first book, he seemed more like a misunderstood person in the second one. He was just a guy who had to go through so much and went through so many hard times and those were the reasons why he did what he did.

Unravel Me is a satisfying sequel filled with unpredictable twists and romance. It will make you feel so many emotions at once and leave you hanging with the temptation for more. Even if you don't like Sci-fi, this book will clearly change your opinion and undoubtedly make you fall head over heels for it.


My rating:  4 of 5 stars

Reviewed by Inas

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!