Running Nowhere | The Scorch Trials



The Scorch Trials
Director: Wes Ball
Release date: September 18th, 2015
Genres: Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller, Mystery
Cast: Dylan O'Brien (Thomas), Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Newt), Kaya Scodelario (Teresa), see more cast and crew
Duration: 132 min
Rating: PG-13
Based on the novel by James Dashner
Transported to a remote fortified outpost, Thomas and his fellow teenage Gladers find themselves in trouble after uncovering a diabolical plot from the mysterious and powerful organization WCKD. With help from a new ally, the Gladers stage a daring escape into the Scorch, a desolate landscape filled with dangerous obstacles and crawling with the virus-infected Cranks. The Gladers only hope may be to find the Right Hand, a group of resistance fighters who can help them battle WCKD.
IMDB Score: 7.1/10 | Rotten Tomatoes: 62%
My Thoughts

I was super excited to watch the Scorch Trials this weekend it opens because I'd watched the Maze Runner last year and absolutely loved it. It had been a thrill ride from start to finish and I thought that the action/adventure was fascinating and ethereal. Naturally, I was highly anticipating the sequel, expecting it to be bigger and bolder than the last movie.

What I Liked
The cinematography was stellar. I felt like the entire movie fit an overall aesthetic of poignant desolation. The camera focus was sharp as knives and the silhouettes made on the desert landscape were outstandingly artsy. I got chills whenever more than one character turned their heads at the same time, because it was done with such synchronicity and meaning. I felt that the visuals were excellent and I was overall blown away by them. It certainly had a darker atmosphere than the first movie.
scorch4
Game of Thrones' own Nathalie Emmanuel played such a BAMF (badass mother fucker) character, Harriet, in the movie. She was fierce, audacious, and exuded impassioned leadership. It was a delight to watch her instill awe in Thomas's group and commandeer an army. It was such a far cry from her more gentle character on GoT, and I really enjoyed it.
scorch6
My heart leaped with a multitude of intense emotion, from terror to despair to elation. I actually got teary eyed when that tragic event occurred, and I could feel my heart leaping out of my chest with a surge of horror as Thomas's crew was attacked by zombies. I like movies that make me feel great, and The Scorch Trials did succeed in that way.
scorch8
Brenda was pretty boss! She was totally self-assured and plucky, and I like her impetus. Her cool demeanor intrigued me. I think that she held her own very well and was very daring and dauntless.
What I Didn't Like
So. Much. Running. I feel like the whole movie was just about Thomas, Newt, Teresa, Minho, and the rest of the gang just running away from the "bad guys" and being chased and shot at and attacked. Running from WCKD, running from zombies (too many zombies!), running from whatever attacker was there. It became ingratiating. Like Thomas said, "I'm tired of running." I'm tired of you running too, Thomas.
scorch9
I didn't feel like there was any real point to this movie. I left the movie theater not even sure if I knew if there was a plot to it. A lot of random crap just happened to Thomas et al and I didn't understand the premise of it. The first movie very clearly showed that the objective was to find the way out of the maze, and the objective was reached by them leaving the maze at the end of the movie. It seemed like, for the sequel, horrible stuff was just thrown at our heroes and we were left with more questions than answers. It was more of an awkward in-between movie, and I hope the mystery will be truly solved in the third (and final) movie.
scorch10
I didn't like how Newt didn't talk that much in this movie. I adore the actor, Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Nanny McPhee, Phineas and Ferb, Game of Thrones) and I wanted his character to be more important in the Scorch Trials, like he was in the Maze Runner. He kind of faded to the wayside in this movie, even though he was still Thomas's right-hand man. Plus, I really love his British accent, so I sorely missed hearing it a lot in the movie. I have a soft spot for Newt, which the Scorch Trials didn't really deliver on.
scorch12
Teresa was just kind of there. Her character didn't add any value to the plot until the horrific twist at the end, which appeared to have come out of nowhere. She was more of just an accessory to Thomas.
Verdict
The Scorch Trials was very aesthetically pleasing and showcased brazen female characters. It was fun to watch three Game of Thrones actors in one movie (Nathalie Emmanuel, Thomas Sangster, and Aidan Gillen). I think it was really thrilling to watch and it kept me on the edge of my seat. I thought that was an excellent direction by Wes Ball in terms of visuals. Yet, it seemed pointless and meaningless, and I was left dissatisfied and disappointed.


My rating:  ★ ★ ★ .75

Reviewed by Kelechi

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!