When Mystery Meets Whirlwind Romance | Every Word


Every Word by Ellie Marney
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Release date: June 1st, 2014
Genres: YA, Mystery, Thriller, Romance
Pages:  340
Source: Bought it
James Mycroft has just left for London to investigate a car accident similar to the one that killed his parents seven years ago...without saying goodbye to Rachel Watts, his 'partner in crime'.

Rachel is furious and worried about his strange behaviour - not that Mycroft's ever exactly normal, but London is the scene of so many of his nightmares. So Rachel jumps on a plane to follow him...and lands straight in a whole storm of trouble.

The theft of a copy of Shakespeare's First Folio, the possible murder of a rare books conservator, and the deaths of Mycroft's parents...Can Watts help Mycroft make sense of the three events - or will she lose him forever?

Sparks fly when Watts and Mycroft reunite in this second sophisticated thriller about the teen sleuthing duo.
Review:
 
Every Breath by Ellie Marney was probably the first mystery I've ever read. I was really expecting a good read when I picked the book up because of a number of good reviews it has. But, turned out it wasn't good at all, it was AMAZEBALLS. So, yeah, of course, I decided to read the second book.



Every Word starts off about two weeks after the end of Every Breath. Imagine that, only two weeks, and BAM! Rachel and Mycroft are already into another mess. The story is set in London. How do they end up there? Within the first few pages, Mycroft suddenly flies to London with Professor Walsh to inspect a carjacking scene. And by suddenly, I mean he just takes an early flight to London without telling Rachel first. He really is a sweet boyfriend, isn't he? *Note the sarcasm*

Being a good girlfriend she is, Rachel decides that she has to follow Mycroft. Why? Because London is where his worst demons lie and being there can be traumatizing for him. Even though I know exactly why she does that and can understand it very well, I still find her act of flying-to-London-without-telling-parents-and-any-kind-of-plan a bit reckless. But hey, it's Rachel. She's great and awesome that way. If only it was me, it wouldn't seem brave and selfless at all, it would seem idiotic and suicidal (you know, with parents involved).

Despite her recklessness and short-term logic, I find her badass and realistic. If all, her recklessness and temper might be the things that relate to me the most. She may not be as awesome as those other books' heroines and narrators, but to me, she's the most realistic and honest. She's determined and persistent. She also tries to protect herself and can be independent if she wants to. And then there's Mycroft. He is the epitome of sexiness, sassiness, and yeah, he's hard to resist, but he's also hurting. Like, seriously hurting. It was good to read about his past and how he's finally able to share his deepest and darkest memory to Rachel. Even though, there has to be a bit of  a lot of pain involved on both Rachel and Mycroft's sides to get him to share it with her. And I swear, every time he cries, something in me cracks a little.

Everything about the main case (as in the mystery) is also brilliant and pure genius. Every time some new words appeared, I had to browse for the meaning on the internet. Well, I don't know if it's just me being unintellectual or what. What I know is that getting mind-blown is something you can't avoid while reading this book. Every time Rachel or Mycroft deduces something, I also couldn't but think 'oh god, it's not Rachel or Mycroft that's brilliant, it's the author'. So yeah, two thumbs-up to Ellie Marney, who's probably reading this. Hey, Ellie! YOU ROCK!

And then, there's the ACTION! The SUSPENSE! Gosh, it was so CRAZY INTENSE! It kept me on the edge of my seat the WHOLE TIME. It kept my heart thumping so hard I felt like running a marathon. It made me shriek, scream, curse, and utter so many unintelligible words because I couldn't stop cursing at the bad guys to keep their hands off Rachel and Mycroft! NOBODY. NOBODY CAN TOUCH MY SHIP.

THE ROMANCE IS A WHIRLWIND OF TORNADO. It's just.. wow. They literally can't keep their hands to themselves. I highly enjoyed this, of course, being the fangirl I am. But then, it also gets to the point where they can't seem to get their priorities straight. I mean, seriously, you're making out right now? Really? You're probably hours away from your death and all you can do was making out? Well, I guess I can't blame them, though. They're going to die (again) anyway. But still, they could've used the time to plan an escape plan or something. But, overall, reading them as a couple was something so damn precious and pleasing. I think we should start coming up with a ship name. Wycroft? Rames? Racroft? I think Racroft it is.

There are also a lot of Sherlock Holmes references here. I'm not gonna spoil too much, but.. let's just say that one of them is that we'll get to read some words from a guy who calls himself 'the-name-of-Sherlock-Holmes's-archenemy'.

One other thing that I adored so much s Mike. He has just become my favorite character. I adored him so much. He's like a big brother figure that I imagined myself having. I loved how caring he was to Rachel, and how straightforward he is about his feelings. He's just the kind of secondary character you wish you'd get to meet in real life.

Both thrilling and captivating, Every Word is a book highly recommended to all mystery lovers out there. It's full of romance, action, and suspense that will keep you on the edge of your seat, or at least, shriek like a maniac. No, scratch my first sentence, I recommend this to all people out there who love mystery or just looking for a series worth binge-reading.



My rating:  ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Reviewed by Inas

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!