SUPER Badass Heroine | Snow Globe



Snow Globe by Jeanne Skartsiaris
Publisher: Barclay Publicity
Release date: January 15th, 2015
Genres: YA, Supernatural, Thriller
Pages:  232
Source: Publisher
Troubled teen. Juvenile delinquent. Aja Harmon is familiar with the labels. She and her mom live like gypsies, moving every year. Her mom works as a psychic and Aja fights to suppress her own intuitive abilities because the power scares her. After losing a cool job at Abercrombie & Fitch, the only work Aja can find is as a waitress at an elderly residence home. Slowly she begins to enjoy working with the seniors. Unlikely bonds forge, making their worlds bigger while shrinking the generation gap.

If only a corrupt police officer hadn't set his sights on Aja—a beautiful girl with a sketchy past. An easy target to add to his twisted collection.

Snow Globe is a story about a teen who tries to do the right thing but continues to find trouble with her smart mouth and fearless attitude. Working at the assisted living facility, Aja learns compassion and how important yet fragile life is.
Review:
 
Snow Globe was one of the most thrilling novels I've read so far. I had goosebumps all the way from the beginning to the end. I had a bit difficulty trying to figure out the genre. I know it says Fantasy and Supernatural, but those two aspects are more like accompanying aspects rather than significant ones. If you expect to read a story of a psychic girl who fights demons and ghosts and stuff like that, then you won't get what you're looking for. Because this novel isn't exactly a supernatural novel, it's more about the struggle of life for a girl with dark past and abnormal mom who's the perfect portrayal of a hippie.


What I liked the most was the main character, Aja. Well, no. I adored her. I wished I were her. She's tough and even though life has been grinding her to pulp, she manages to find her way round. I liked how she stands up for what she thinks is right and even though she gets many judgements from people, she doesn't care. She's strong and life has made her so. I mean, yes, she still cries sometimes. But, who doesn't?

The suspense is also high. I've never felt this scared and worried for a character for a long time. It's like life and earth and all its inhabitants have turned against her and try to make her as miserable as possible. But, Aja takes it all with her head held high and her comebacks are the best things ever.

I especially like these lines she said when she saw a mother slapping her daughter across the face.

“Don’t take that, kid,” Aja said to the child. “Dial 911.” Aja glared at the mother. “If you didn’t want kids, you shouldn’t have had them. They’re not punching bags.”

And this is what she does after she gets fired for standing up for the kid.

Aja tossed her armload of clothes to the floor and made sure to step on them as she stormed off.

Yeah. That's what I call real sass and I liked her for it.

There's also a bit of romance in it, it's not exactly the main genre of the book so I understood for the lack of it. It's so slow and gradual. They're not that couple who gets all lovey-dovey right after the first meeting. In fact, they have their own problems and trust issues to deal with. The fact that they have so many problems is what makes them so real compared to couples in reality. It was also entertaining to see Aja avoiding him but still secretly wishing he'd come to visit her. They're just too adorable.

You won't be worried about getting bored because this novel is fast-paced and filled with tensions. I would've finished this in one sit if only I didn't fall asleep due to my lack of sleep (I finished this in two).

Overall, I'd say Snow Globe is a great and worthy read. It teaches us to stand up for what we think is right, but don't do careless and reckless things while doing so. It also teaches us that no matter how hard life is on you, in the end, there'll come a time when the stars align and the moon shines real bright just for you.

My rating:  ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Reviewed by Inas

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!