Another Ship is Coming Your Way | The Infinite Sea


The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey
Publisher: Penguin Books
Release date: September 16th, 2014
Genres: YA, Sci-Fi, Dystopian
Pages:  320
Source: Bought it
Goodreads Purchase
How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.
Review:

OH MY GOSH

Those three words pretty much sum up my general reaction throughout the whole book.

The Infinite Sea continues some time (not too long) after the end of The 5th Wave. Evan hasn't come (as he promised) yet, but the crew/team/whatever-you-want-to-call-it can't stay in the hotel for long because winter is coming. They'll need a better shelter. So, Ringer volunteers to go look for the cavern they knew about from a pamphlet. And from there, things got interesting.



First, let me tell you my favorite characters, sorted from the most to the least favorite ones:

1. RINGER

Hell yeah. We don't get any of Ben's POV anymore, instead, we get Ringer's! And she's one tough bitch! I LOVED her so much. She surpasses Cassie in every possible way. She's not whiny and lovesick like Cassie is in this book.

2. RAZOR

I was pretty pissed off because I didn't get to read from Ben's POV. But then this new character appeared and I couldn't say I hated him. He was funny, sweet, caring, and ermahgerd so great in general. He and Ringer cracked me up and melted me into a puddle of swoon so MANY times.

3. BEN

He was my most favorite character from the first book. It wasn't that I liked him less now, it just that Ringer and Razor outshone him in every possible way. Ben is still the voice of reason of the group. He still has that air of authority (since he was the captain of the squad and everybody looked up to him)

The plot is unpredictable and very fast-paced. I barely had time to catch my breath. But, the length of the book is too short, in my opinion. When I reached the end, I was like, what? NO! Gimme more! And let's just say that I liked Ringer's narration MUCH MUCH more than Cassie's. I grew a great amount of dislike toward Cassie. To be honest, she becomes this annoying suck up little lover girl and I was so sick of her. She constantly pines and whines over Evan. Evan. Evan. I was like 'OH! Get in your pants, would you?!'  But besides that, I think I'm cool with her.

From the plot, we find out some secrets of the invasion. As in, how the aliens/The Others really do their things and what their sole purpose is. We're also grown to know about minor things that seemed insignificant in the first book (but actually pretty important in the end). And oh! There's also a background story about Poundcake's past. As in, a story which tells us why he doesn't speak. It's SO sad! My heart broke for the kid!

“Are you crying, Ringer?"
"My eyes are watering."
"No."
"Don't tell me no, Razor. I don't cry."
"Bullshit.”

And the romance! OH MY GOD the romance!! It was soooooo sweet and swoon-worthy. And I'm not talking about Cassie x Evan here. And no, I'm not talking about Cassie x Ben here, either. I'm talking about Ringer's. It started off slow. But slow is what makes a good romance. The fact that they need each other and how the boy is always there for her makes me squeal like the fangirl I am. It is sweet, even sweeter and more precious and fragile than Cassie and Evan's whole romance. It's precious because it appears just a few times, but when it does, it's the best thing ever, I swear.

He leans forward and kisses me hard on the mouth.
"Don't ever do that again," I tell him.
"Why? Because you liked it or because you didn't?"
"Both.”

I'm not sure why, but I think there's going to be a love-triangle in the next book. Because I read some hints that Ben actually has a feeling for Cassie. But I couldn't care less, I only want to know more about Ringer and this boy's further relationship.

Overall, I think The Infinite Sea is an action-packed and prose-filled sequel to The 5th Wave. It opens up new possibilities and leaves you wanting and craving for more.

My rating:  ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Reviewed by Inas 

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!