Liked the First Book WAY Better | Through the Zombie Glass

Through The Zombie Glass by Gena Showalter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release date: September 24th, 2013
Genres: YA, Paranormal, Fantasy
Pages:  480
Source: Bought it
Goodreads Purchase
Zombies stalk the night. Forget blood and brains. These monsters hunger for human souls. Sadly, they've got mine…

Alice Bell has lost so much. Family. Friends. A home. She thought she had nothing else to give. She was wrong.

After a new zombie attack, strange things begin to happen to her. Mirrors come to life, and the whispers of the dead assault her ears. But the worst? A terrible darkness blooms inside her, urging her to do very wicked things...


Review:


Yep. That was me. Picking this book up. Opening it. Bracing myself for its awesomeness... and instead, I got.. oh well. Let's not go into that, shall we?


I bought three last books in this series right after I read Alice In Zombieland, which was full of wonders. I had been expecting the awesomeness to continue, but what did I get?

DRAMA. LOVE TRIANGLE. TEENAGE JEALOUSY. HORMONES. RAGING HORMONES. JEALOUSY AGAIN. DRAMA AGAIN. AND OH! A BIT OF ACTION HERE AND THERE.

Now I'm starting to rethink my decision about buying the whole series.

I want my money back! Dammit.

First, the characters that made me fall in love with the first book failed horribly in this one. I mean, seriously, Cole Holland? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU? You used to be this super cool yet mysterious kinda guy that made me swoon, but now I just wanted to smack your face. I hated his on-and-off affection with Ali. He kept his distance, avoided her at all costs, but threw dagger stares at any guy who so much as talked to her. I just didn't get him. I mean, what was he? Five? He was 17, for God's sake! I'd thought by now he would've grown some sense and stopped acting like a sulking hormonal fourteen-year-old. All throughout the book, I was like,


And Ali! My sweet, dear, lovely Ali. I HATED HER. She was a badass in the first book! I loved her! She had sass and a personality I adored. But, in this book? All those qualities were drowned by the flooding water of jealousy and teenage hormones. She was acting like a middle school girl while in fact she was 16. Hey, I'm 16! I know what it feels like to be 16! And I sure as hell don't make excuses to be with my crush when at the same moment my family wants me to be there. I mean, this girl is messed up. She kept telling herself she'd make it up later with her grandma while she ran off to be with her boyfriend-but-not-really-boyfriend, Cole. FAMILY COMES FIRST, GIRL. IT ALWAYS COMES FIRST (Except when you're reading Divergent, then Faction comes first). And here's a bonus gift to sum up Ali in this book:


I could go on and on and on about the characters. Specifically, about how I LOATHED the characters. But then it would probably take hours and my writing would be enough to be a dissertation. So, I'll make it quick. Kat is no longer the sister I never had but I wish I did, she's more like a sister I'm glad I never had. Nana is the epitome of wrong-grandparenting-101. She left Ali in her room to be with not one, but TWO teenage boys with raging hormones and testosterones INSIDE her BEDROOM! What kind of grandparent is that? This was my reaction to that scene and several others like it:


The plot itself was VERY predictable. They went into trouble, struggling to survive, but in the end, they'd survive. OF COURSE, they'd survive. I mean, who'd want to read a depressing story about a girl without parents and NO FRIENDS? Yeah, probably me, but that's just wishful thinking. And plus, the story would've been much, much shorter if only Ali had even bothered to tell everyone about her problems rather than just keeping them all to herself. That's something I really HATE in most main characters. Keeping yourself in danger to keep your beloved ones safe, keeping an important secret that would make everything easier IF only you'd bother to tell anyone, blah blah blah. All those heroic bullshits. You should know by now that telling people about your problems is ALWAYS a better option.

And most annoying of all... the writing.


Well, it's not for me to judge, really. I'm not one who writes like J.K. Rowling or Marissa Meyer or any other famous authors. I've tried writing but failed (not that I wouldn't try again, though). But, I DO know magnificent and superb writing when I see one. And this book isn't one of it. It was mediocre on the brim of disappointing. So sorry, Gena, but I just...didn't...like it.

One thing that also kept nagging my mind was that I found it difficult to believe a 17 year-old-boy would have that much charm, cockiness and that many tattoos. Maybe it's because I don't really have that many comparators. But, oh well.

In the end, I think Through The Zombie Glass was definitely NOT a good sequel. It disappointed me in many possible ways. I gave 2 stars because the last one-third of the book was more bearable and action packed. But still, the romance made me cringe here and there. I really hope the next ones are going to be better because I've bought them all! Oh God. You should read this, though, if you've read the first book. You should know what happened...what a jackass Cole actually was...and so on and so on.

My rating:  ★ ★ 

Reviewed by Inas 

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!