Nirvana for Geeks | Ready Player One


Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Publisher: Crown Publishers
Release date: August 16, 2011
Genres: YA, Sci-Fi, Dystopia
Pages:374
Source: Downloaded it
In the year 2045, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

Review

Oh, well. 

It's about time I finally got around writing this review that I have been planning on writing since months ago, but I was always too lazy to do it.

I read this book mainly because of the hype that surrounded the movie adaptation a couple months ago. I fell in love instantly with the trailer of the movie when I watched it last year and my immediate thought was "heck, i need to really read the book this time". So I did.

Here are the things that were constantly in my mind while I was in this roller coaster ride:

1. OMG THE WORLD-BUILDING!!!!

This sentence keeps repeating itself in my mind throughout the whole book. It is rare to read a book in which AT LEAST one-third of the book consists of ONLY world-building yet it doesn't feel like it is boring me to death. I am not even joking. Barely anything happens in the first few chapters--mostly just the MC doing his daily routine such as saying hi to his neighbors and eating breakfast. But I assure you, you wouldn't want to keep your eyes off this book even for a split second because of how mesmerizing the world inside this book is.

 2. 80s POP CULTURE REFERENCES FTW

I'm not even an 80s kid and this book makes me want to live in that era. I was born in 1999 thus the reason why most of the games, music, and movie references in this book don't really resonate with me. But I don't mind it at all because it was written in a way that would make the readers conjure up their own imaginations about said references. I coped with my lack of knowledge of 80s pop culture by browsing the names of the games, artists, movies, or even cars mentioned in the book. Well, I learned quite a lot just by reading this gem.

3. WADE WATTS IS MY SPIRIT ANIMAL


I love how relatable the MC is. I am so sick of reading MCs with perfect bodies, perfect hair, perfect face, and hard rock abs even though they hardly exercise at all. That's why I feel connected somehow with Wade. He is average looking even on his best days and he even has belly fat due to lack of exercise and nutritious food (I kid you not he says so in the book). Moreover, despite being one of the most enthusiastic person to obtain the Easter Egg and having the knowledge and skills to do that, he barely has any money at all. He is broke as hell. But his passion and willpower help him overcome all of those shortcomings.

4. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Yep. This book kept making me repeat this three-lettered word abbreviation. The plot, the characters, the action, the suspense, everything kept me on edge and wanting more. I loved the MC's narration and let me tell you that I don't really like first person POV when it comes to reading books. I prefer third person POV because it is possible to know what is going on with other characters. While in first person POV, you're stuck in just one person's head. If you happen to hate the narrator, well too bad, you have to bear it. But I ENJOYED Wade's narration even though he could be a bit foolish sometimes due to his crush towards a certain girl (well, we all are foolish when it comes to love, aren't we?).

In all, I think you're missing out on so much if you haven't read this book (yep, even if you have watched the movie, you still HAVE TO read this book). The movie was awesome, in my opinion. But reading this book is a whole different journey and oh boy did I enjoy every second of it.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Similar Books:

https://bitesomebooks.blogspot.co.id/2018/01/warcross-by-marie-lu.html 


2 comments

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this!!! I haven't read it yet myself, but I do love the sound of your average-Joe hero, who we can all relate to. I'll probably watch the movie before I read the book so I won't be too intimidated by it!!! Lovely review. ♥

    - Aimee @ Aimee, Always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god I can’t believe you commented on my blog! I love your reviews and blog posts so much btw!

      Anyway, I think watching the movie before reading the book is an excellent idea! That way you won’t have an expectations about the movie. But I don’t think it would matter since all of my expectations were surpassed when I watched it.

      Delete

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!