Unusual yet Captivating Writing | Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Format: Paperback, 338 pages
Publication: November 15th, 2011 by Harper
Source: Bought from Periplus
Genre: Dystopian, Romance, Young Adult
Goodreads Purchase
I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster

I'm more than human

My touch is lethal

My touch is power

I am their weapon

I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.
Review:

This book is one of the best books I've read ever and, believe me, I have a high taste. I mean, of course if I've started reading a shitty book I still have to finish it, because I have to finish what I started.. But, I will tell the world about how shitty that book is.

And this book
is a masterpiece.

It's a Sci-Fi and Romance book.

I really love the story and how once I started reading it, I couldn't stop. Not even for sleeping or drinking.

This book is basically a girl who has a special power, which is her lethal touch. She can kill everything she touches, and I mean, literally. People die just because she touched them. And that's also the reason why she spent most of her life in isolation and having no friends at all. Even her parents are afraid of her. They gave her away to an asylum to take care of. She's actually beautiful, but this seems to be unnoticed by the majority of people because she always put her head down and hide her face behind her hair. But, then a boy came to join her ward in the asylum (she got a roommate) and things turned upside down. Not long after that, she was retreated from the asylum and some guy wanted to hold her captive in order to take advantage of her power.

This book was capable of making me shrieked, laughed, almost cried, and literally went insane. I also regret not buying the second and third book in a row at the time I bought this book. I bought this book in a bookstore when I was having a study tour last week, and at first I wasn't sure whether to buy this book or not, but hey, it wouldn't hurt if I buy it.

But, well.
It did.

What I liked about the book is the writing style, it's so uncommon yet captivating at the same time. But, maybe some of you are likely to find it annoying and stupid if you don't like the idea of prose on most parts of the book and strikes like this everywhere in the book. 
"Of course I remember you." My voice is a strangled whisper. I squeeze my eyes shut. I remember you every day forever un every single broken moment of my life. "You were the only one who ever looked at me like a human being."
Believe me, guys. There are a lot of those strikes throughout the whole book. I'm not saying I hate it, I'm just saying some people might find it annoying, but really it's just Tahereh's writing style and since we have access to the heroine's thought, we also have full access to what she's thinking and the things she thinks aren't actually worth thinking at all.

The plot was unpredictable and not too fast paced. It was just the perfect length for a book. Well, the characters may or may not be lovable for some people, but I find them all unique and special in their own kind of way.

So, what are you waiting for?
Grab this book and enjoy the ride!

4 of 5 stars

Reviewed by Inas

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!