Genius Girl Falls for Hot Blind Dude | Cress


Cress by Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release date: February 4th, 2014
Genres: Sci-fi, Fantasy, YA
Pages:  550
Source: Bought it


In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.
Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.
Review:
 
In this book Cinder, Thorne, Wolf, and Scarlet's journey continued with many ups and downs in the way. They had made a plan to crash Emperor Kai and Queen Levana's wedding in an attempt to prevent it from happening in order to avoid the continuous domination of Levana's tyranny. They realized that they wouldn't be able to do it by themselves, so they sought help from a hacker girl who had been locked up in a satellite for 7 years of her life, the same girl who told Cinder about Levana's evil intention in the first place.


"Captain?"
"Yeah?"
"Do you think it was destiny that brought us together?"
He squinted and, after a thoughtful moment, shook his head. "No. I'm pretty sure it was Cinder.”


The Lunar Chronicles was a series based on fairy tale hence making it a retelling version of it full of aliens, spaceships, etc. While Cinder was based on Cinderella with a slight twist to it making the Cinderella a cyborg, Cress was based on Rapunzel's tale. Complete with the blind prince, damsel in distress, and desert.

Cress, the hacker girl, is a 16-year-old girl who had been locked up for 7 years of her life in a Lunar satellite by Queen Levana's thaumaturge, Sybil Mira. Sybil took advantage of her by telling her to hack into the Commonwealth's castle's security system and jamming the Earthen Union radar so Lunar ships could go in and out undetected. Living her life as a damsel in distress, she longed for a prince figure to rescue her and by the time she found out about Carswell Thorne--one of Cinder's companions--she was sure that she had found her prince charming. She did a research on him and found out that beneath all those criminal records, he was actually a kind and nice man who did everything out of kindness thus making her in love with him even though she had never even laid eyes on him.

Well, I guess that's gonna be all I'm spoiling for now. You can read the rest of the book. Now, I'm going to comment on everything!


“Wow, when you research, you really research, don't you?”


The story was great. Awesome, even. It was filled with unpredictable twists that made me wonder how could a person made up that kind of story. There were moments when I didn't even care that I was in public and I just laughed, shrieked, and cringed anyway because duh why wouldn't I? It was just too funny and great and amazing and the story was very beautifully written I couldn't peel my eyes off it. The connections between all tales just made sense and not forced and you wouldn't even see it coming. I mean, Meyer had literally made a whole new story without deleting any crucial part of the real story and that's awesome. She actually had dropped some hints about the characters we were going to face throughout the series on the first book and we wouldn't even notice it.



“But you're a prisoner," said Thorne.
"I prefer damsel in distress," she murmured.
One side of Thorne's mouth quirked up, into that perfect half smile he'd had in his graduation photo. A look that was a little bit devious, and all sorts of charming.
Cress's heart stopped, but if they noticed her melting into her chair, they didn't say anything.”


I know I said the story was awesome and I really liked it. But, there was also a reason behind me giving it one less star than it actually deserved. Which was, the romance.

Now, while I particularly LOVED the romance on the previous book, I felt that the romance in this book was kind of weak and faint in comparison with the previous books. I mean, we knew that Cress had this HUGE crush on Thorne because he was all she would ever dream for and she somehow just knew that Thorne was the one for her. But, is it really possible to fall in love like that? I could've said the same thing about being in love with a celebrity because I knew every single little thing there is about him on the internet while not being really in love with him because then, I would just love the idea of him, not him himself. What I mean is, Cress was just a naive girl who didn't know anything about love except for everything she'd watched on the net and of course she would fall into the conclusion that she loved Thorne because he was practically the FIRST man she ever laid eyes on, and boy is he gorgeous. Fortunately, this was also what Thorne thought of her, as he was warning her that she might be wrong about being in love with him.

"Captain," she murmured. "I think I'm in love with you."


All in all, I still thought that Cress was an amazing book totally worth binge reading because the story was irresistible. Just ignore the romance that maybe might annoy you a bit and enjoy the ride.

My rating: 

4 out of 5 stars

Reviewed by Inas

Edited 02/22/2018

Maybe it's karma. But now I would give this book 5 stars. I know I said I hated the romance but now Cresswell (Cress x Carswell) is my No. 1 OTP in the literary world, heck, maybe even in the world. I read so many of their fanfictions and collected most of their fanarts. I was an idiot for saying the romance in this book annoyed me.

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!